View All Dollar Tree JobsDollar Tree
The Sales & Use Tax Accountant is responsible for the administration of sales, use, property tax (real and personal), and unclaimed property taxes. This position will perform activities related to the preparation of tax filings, tax payments, audit management, financial accounting, as well as, continuous improvements & special tax projects. This position requires a team player with strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Must be able to learn Vertex and use it productively and accurately. That includes navigating all rules within a product category in Vertex to make sure the proper coding is chosen.
- Assist in the preparation of Sarbanes-Oxley compliance documentation.
- Assist with management of state and local tax audits, including coordination and negotiation with tax auditors and government agencies. Must be able to navigate multiple systems and manage large amounts of data to find documentation and effectively present to auditors to mitigate risks. Audit duties may also include drafting protest and appellate documents related to either audit assessments or claims for refund.
- Perform monthly tax account reconciliations of approximately 1000 returns per month.
- Compile and analyze monthly sales tax data files and journal entries for sales tax compliance preparer and reconcile sales, tax and payments accounts to general ledger. Ability to perform complex technical tax research related to taxability of products and related exemptions in approximately 50 states and Canada. This will also include monitoring general sales tax law changes and ensuring all tax systems and point of sales systems are in compliance.
- Prepare unclaimed property compliance and research significant items.
- Ability to analyze and interpret tax legislation to effectively recommend tax strategies and new processes.
- Participate in the implementation and testing of new software and software upgrades.
- Research tax notices and prepare responses to taxing authorities.
- Maintain corporate tax records in a timely and accurate manner.
- Coordinate the implementation and maintenance of tax software including Vertex and OneSource.
- Excellent active listening, written, verbal communication skills with the ability to present and influence appropriately through genuine relationship building at all levels of the organization
- Ability to research complex multi-state & local tax issues, formulate and develop recommendations for management
- Knowledge of tax software preferred. Must have ability to learn software programs, such as Alteryx, Power BI, Showcase,
- Vertex, OneSource RETEK, MicroStrategy, and SQL if no current experience
- CPA Preferred
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in MS Office products
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines while maintaining strong attention to detail and organization
- Extraordinary interpersonal skills to work in conjunction with other departments, vendors, and internal and external customers
Qualification & Experience:
- Direct tax experience of two years or more preferred
- BA or BS degree is required
Company: Dollar Tree
Vacancy Type: Full-time
Job Functions: Accounting
Job Location: Portsmouth, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A